111 E. Court Street, Suite 3C, Flint, MI 48502
The Ruth Mott Foundation’s mission is to advocate, stimulate, and support community vitality. Our commitment is to base the Foundation in its home community of Flint, Michigan.
Applewood was built in 1916 as a gentleman’s farm for the Charles Stewart Mott family and is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. The home and grounds encompass approximately 34 acres that include an orchard with 29 varieties of heritage apples and 18 acres that are extensively landscaped. The original gatehouse, barn and chicken coop complete the estate.
Ruth Mott generously gave Applewood to the Ruth Mott Foundation, bestowing full responsibility for the estate upon her passing in 1999. Rooted in the Mott legacy of philanthropy, Applewood continues to embody the family’s commitment to the community. This historic treasure, paired with spectacular grounds, skilled staff and forward-looking goals has become a vital component of the foundations philanthropic work beyond grantmaking. It serves as a living laboratory, a neutral and inspiring location for gatherings, a center for learning through its public on-site programs, and a base from which its skilled horticulturists and archivists support grantees and community initiatives.